[nSLUG] freebsd and boot-file in sparc openprom

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:48:19 AST 2005

Hi there,

I have a boot CD for freebsd 6 on sparc. I want to test drive an
install on a spare disk I have on an Ultra 60. Much earlier I had
made a devalias in nvram for cdrom and this has worked for
booting such things as the sparc64 Gentoo CD.

Somehow boot-file in openprom was set to 'cprboot -F' - which was
there before I had the machine. openprom with a Linux CDROM
normally just complained about there being nothing after -F
and then ignored boot-file.

I've tried 'setenv boot-file bsd' or boot/boot0 and various attempts
to set it to null, but I still cannot boot the FreeBSD boot only CDROM.

Perhaps really nulling boot-file would help but single and double quoted
null or no value have not worked.

So far no solutions found with google and nothing about it in the BSD
release
notes, handbook, etc., so if anyone can suggest something to try it would
be great...

--Donald

!DSPAM:43792244107131719855593!