[nSLUG] Netfinity Raid

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Sun Nov 6 15:08:50 AST 2005

Hello:

Having gotten the the Netfinity server for a good price!! you may wish to
spend some time and try a different distro.

Rather than using FC4 you might wish to try centos.org 4.2 which is RHEL
4.2.  We have setup a used HP Netserver LH that had some other OS.   It
had SYMBIOS Raid 5 on board.  The RAID was configured via BIOS / CMOS.
Centos just found and installed everything.  Nothing needed to be
tweaked.  It plain and simply ran out of the box so to speak.  And this
was serious server hardware in a similar class as the Netfinity if the
Netfinity you got was a server class machine.

Centos aka RHEL is well tested on Server hardware.

We had lots of disk so we told it to install everything, but we should
have NOT installed the multi-language support.  As it came up Webmin and
SWAT were there and needed just to be told to start in the installer.

I would suspect that FC4 is not as well tested with server hardware and
is targeted more to the desktop user.

Just something to consider.

Jim H

!DSPAM:436e54c7228502051316284!