[nSLUG] distributed computing projects for linux clients?

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Nov 1 07:57:24 AST 2005

Quoting Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> I searched the topic of distributed computing projects and Linux and came up
> blank.
> Every client I've seen is for Windows. Does anyone know of a Linux client
> for any distributed computing project - especially a charity project?

My impression is that the big projects that use linux have moved to grid
technology and are selective about who can join.  If you are a low-budget
project and have the sort of problem that is suited to the SETI style clients,
current Win32 boxes have ample spare cycles and bandwidth to overwhelm any
controller you can afford, so the only incentive to support linux is to avoid
being in competition with the Russian mafia's massive (botnet) distributed
computing systems.

There have been some open grid systems that anyone with a small cluster could
join.  The one I looked was only available about 5% of the time, partly
because
the clusters tended towards older (Pentium Pro vintage) hardware.  It would be
interesting to know whether any of these have been used to solve real
problems.

Don't forget projects such as TeX Live (which produces annual releases of a TeX
distribution for TeX users groups) that a source code control system and many
individuals who build binaries and test the packages for various platforms.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:43675828122051080914236!