[nSLUG] Re: Newsreader to recommend?

bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu May 19 10:15:26 ADT 2005

Hi:

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Donald Teed wrote:
> Years ago I used nn.  But is horrible for
[snip]
> These days I use pine for terminal mode,
> or Thunderbird for GUI mode newsgroup reading.

I used to use a program called "news-peruser".  It was a nice, graphical,
offline news reader.  It was great with a slow dial-up connection, it
would let me pull down all the new headers from groups I was interested
in, hang up, select the messages or threads I wanted to read, dial back
up, and pull down those messages.

I guess most news readers will do that now.  The main reason I used it was
that I was helping the program's author with some debugging and code
re-organization (I converted it to use autoconf and automake, and reduced
disk space requirements for the build process by quite a bit).  I think
the author's name was James Bailey.  He seemed to have discontinued the
project and dropped off the face of the earth some years ago -- or at
least his email address stopped working.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca

!DSPAM:428c9172298521783913222!