[nSLUG] Need fix for plain text showing garbage in Mac (Word)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu May 19 08:43:55 ADT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 08:16 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> HTML is what you want, I believe. Specifically, bog standard HTML 3.2
> without all this "span style div" muppetry to cloud the waters. You can
> define the character set if you're having internationalisation problems,
> it's readable in pretty much every modern word processor (though the saved
> HTML can be a bleeding nightmare, viz Word's "HTML" "output"), and
> finally, to generate a really nice, professional looking PDF, install
> htmldoc to convert your HTML into a PDF.

For structured text documents that are easy on the eyes in their source
form, but convert easily to nicer looking standard formats like HTML and
PDF, look into "Restructured Text" (abbreviated ReST or RST).  See:

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

Also, here's an article describing how to use some standard tools to
turn RST into HTML:

http://www.rutherfurd.net/articles/rst-ht2html.html

Ben

!DSPAM:428c7bfe294101990911452!