[nSLUG] Need fix for plain text showing garbage in Mac (Word)

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu May 19 08:16:04 ADT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, bob ashley wrote:

> I reckoned the plain text resume serves as a common source upon which to
> build different stylistic or functional versions.

[snip]

> Another reason. The formatting in the original Mac Word resume didn't
> render perfectly in Open Office so I figured the reverse would also
> hold. I thought I could use a text version from which I could whip up
> 'custom' formatted versions specific to Word, Mac and/or Windows.

[snip]

> Finally, I thought I'd like to dip my toes into the waters of
> typesetting, eventually doing a Joe-pro version in TeX or LaTeX (sp?). I
> was wondering if I could then make a PDF from that which is suitable for
> email attachment. You lay out this reason above, Jack.

HTML is what you want, I believe. Specifically, bog standard HTML 3.2
without all this "span style div" muppetry to cloud the waters. You can
define the character set if you're having internationalisation problems,
it's readable in pretty much every modern word processor (though the saved
HTML can be a bleeding nightmare, viz Word's "HTML" "output"), and
finally, to generate a really nice, professional looking PDF, install
htmldoc to convert your HTML into a PDF.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:428c757a291382033538033!