[nSLUG] Need fix for plain text showing garbage in Mac (Word)

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue May 17 18:03:43 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 17:49 -0300, bob ashley wrote:
> A practical problem to do with text/word processing. Perhaps someone has
> a suggestion. [new user question]
>
> I wrote a gedit (default GUI text editor/Debian sarge/Gnome) file of my
> resume. Sent it to my wife at work. She says it's no good, sundry
> garbage characters for apostrophes, parentheses and such. I assumed
> gedit would give me generic ASCI text. Whoops.
>
> There are three Save Options:
> 1) Unicode (UTF-8)[default]
> 2) Current Locale (ISO-8859-1)
> 3) Western (ISO-8815-1)
> 4) Add or Remove
>
> I saved the file as the default, Unicode, then emailed as an attachment.
> She opened it at work with a Mac using Word. No good.

Unicode should be universal, but isn't.  Try "Current Locale" instead.
Most people can deal with ISO Latin-1 (8859-1).

Another solution is not to make use of "auto curly quotes" etc.  Check
your editor docs to see how to turn those features off.

> Short-term aim: A generic text file which renders a clean read for Mac,
> Windows users, whatever.
>
> Long-term aim: Extricate myself from the old word processing/GUI habit,
> go to text editing. Select and learn a suitable editor, with the long
> haul in mind.
>
> Googling around, I see the main instruments are pico (nano), vi, and
> emacs. But I'm confused, though, by flavours of these, eg vim.

Nano is simple but limited.  You should learn it because it's pretty
standard.

Vi is a bit more difficult.  It's a modal editor, which many people
don't like, but is really efficient once you get over the learning
curve.  You should learn that too -- at least the basics -- because you
never know when you'll be stuck on a system with nothing but vi and wish
you knew how to use it. :)

Vim is a great Vi clone.  That would be the one I'd recommend.

If you want the power of Vim but the simplicity of a modeless editor,
and "standard" key shortcuts (like ^C, ^X, ^V, ^Z for copy, cut, paste
and undo) then I recommend Cream:

http://cream.sf.net/

Ben

!DSPAM:428a5c38224431281213666!