[nSLUG] "No route to host" under samba

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Sat May 14 00:03:59 ADT 2005

I was going to suggest trying with just the IP first,

smbclient -L //192.168.1.11 -N

but now I realize it is presumably trying the correct IP anyway.

If this fails the same way, then my guess is that outweb has a firewall
dropping incoming connections.

You can check with:
iptables -L, iptables -t nat -L

I don't remember the smb.conf file well enough, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it can also limit connections in some way as well.

If there are no firewall rules to drop packets, then I would start trying
to use tcpdump (or ethereal might be easier to use if you're not used to
tcpdump) to look at what's going on, network wise.

Jason

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Rick Wightman wrote:

> But everything goes to poop when I try smbclient from tertius:
>
> [rick at tertius rick]$ smbclient -L outweb -N
> Error connecting to 192.168.1.11 (No route to host)
> Connection to outweb failed
>
> Recall that I can ping from tertius to outweb, so there is a route.
>
> Note that both servers claim to be Master, but the outweb does not list
> tertius as a server.  I believe that the smb.conf files are similar, but
> haven't included them here; the post is longer than I'd like already. I'm at
> a loss to explain what's going on, or where to look.
>
> All suggestions are welcome,

!DSPAM:42856aa173321335013980!