[nSLUG] Chapter Four

robert ashley at chebucto.ca
Wed May 11 23:41:18 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 21:55 -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 21:17 -0300, robert wrote:
> >
> > Dop reminds me that apt-get has just installed hpijs. [Yes] He suggests
> > going to the web interface of CUPS and set up a new printer. [I did do
> > that also, meeting no success. Test print from the CUPS site fails]. He
> > adds that I might have to set something up manually in /etc or similar.
>
> Well, was there a listing for you particular printer? If so, the the
> problem is most likely with configuring the driver, rather then its
> existence.

No, there was no precise listing, but the site itself appeared to
identify the correct printer, HP Deskjet 3650 when I hit the 'Printers'
link. The most irksome part of this is the fact that the instructions
from the HP Linux printing project

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

do not accurately reflect the steps and choices actually operating at
the CUPS site

http://localhost:631

HP's steps illustrate a screen shot of exact model descriptions, for
example, while the CUPS site lumps 'Deskjet' or 'New Deskjet' series.
Further, HP's instructions on how to add a printer in Gnome cannot be
accomplished as written, at least not on the Gnome I'm using, anyhoo.
Further, further, it says

"You can also open the HP Device Manager by entering this command in the
console window:

$ /usr/shre/hplip/toolbox  [Okay, gave that a whirl...]
No such file or directory.

Further, further, still further, HP illustrates another screenshot
showing stuff to select for Functions, Status, Supples, Maintenance,
Information. This screen does appear in the procees at CUPS the way HP
says it does.

For all that, I fear these ostensible differences have introduced yet
another set of thorny variables.

>From all that's transpired I have a sneaky suspicion that perhaps it's
some kind of outlier phenomenon, like an easily overlooked but
obstructive error I'm repeatedly making [but don't know it]. I raise
this possibility because the tenor of several messages seems to have
that this should be a pretty straightforward deal. From that, I take it
that *I* could be single biggest obstacle. I don't know.

I'm prepared to start all over again, from square one. I mention this
because I'm wondering if the cumulative effect of all the prescriptive
measures I'm executing, perhaps amateurishly, have needlessly introduced
gaping holes where confounds rush in. I've lost a grasp of a systematic
step-by-step problem-solving mechanism.

But I haven't given up either. Ha!

Bob

!DSPAM:4282c254322416913997686!