[nSLUG] Chapter Three - Some HP Installation Progress.

robert ashley at chebucto.ca
Wed May 11 21:28:17 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 22:35 +0100, M Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:40:57PM -0300, robert wrote:
> > Here is chapter 3 of my HP printer installation:
> >
> > I ran ./configure again (third time). This after Dop's recommendation to
> > apt-get the missing cups support. Progress, it looks like!
> >
> > The following are the last three lines of the most current config.log.
> > It is the *only* place where the instance of "error" or "fail*" or
> > "cannot find" occurs in the config.log text.
> >
> > checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no
> > configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"
> > configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for prnt/hpijs
> > $
> >
> > What is the next best step?
>
> When compiling from source, any software that requires an external
> library (libjpeg in this case) needs both the actual library to
> be installed, which I believe it is already based on your other
> messages, and the related development files, typically header
> files in /usr/include/ and perhaps an archive (.a) library
> rather than the more common shared library (.so).
>
> The other possibility is that the version of libjpeg you have does
> not include the function jpeg_set_defaults, such as if you have a
> major version mismatch. The INSTALL or Requirements files might
> specify if a specific version is needed.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks Michael. I sent a message which summarize some of the diagnostic
ideas from the other contributors. Had I seen your suggestion I would
have added it.

If I understand him right, Jeff suggested that perhaps the config.log in
prnt/hpijs might cough up some of the info you think could be helpful.

Below is an excerpt. The passage in prnt/hpijs's config.log cites
"jpeg_set_defaults" you mention above. I'm not sure if it reveals a clue
or not.

configure:3636: checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg
configure:3666: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -ljpeg   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:3672: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "hpijs"
| #define VERSION "2.1.2"
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;
| #endif
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char jpeg_set_defaults ();
| int
| main ()
| {