[nSLUG] Reinstalling Boot Loader - was Newbie needs help

Doug McComber doug.mccomber at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:49:16 ADT 2005

HI Preston,

Of course Windows will always overwrite a Linux boot loader (or any
other for that matter) because Bill Gates refuses to believe anyone
would want to use another OS!

Anyway, rant aside, to reinstall a Linux boot loader one generally
uses a "rescue" cd.  Usually distribution's install cd doubles as a
rescue cd, you often just have to type "rescue" at the boot prompt
(try hitting tab first to get a list of valid boot options).

I'm not overly familiar with Ubuntu (maybe someonelse can help out?).
Its rescue mode may have a menu option for resinstalling the boot
loader.  If not and you have to do it by hand here is an outline of
tasks:

- Get to the console
- install lilo (if not already installed)
- edit your lilo.conf file (the rescue cd will probably mount your
Linux partition for you)
- chroot to your Linux partition (i.e. chroot /dev/hda3 /bin/bash)
- run lilo (just type lilo and press return)
- If there were no errors you're good to go, exit the chroot and exit
the rescue cd.

Some of these steps may require more in-depth explanations.  Just ask
if you need more help!

Regards,
Doug