[nSLUG] Chapter Three - Some HP Installation Progress.

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Wed May 11 18:35:14 ADT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:40:57PM -0300, robert wrote:
> Here is chapter 3 of my HP printer installation:
>
> I ran ./configure again (third time). This after Dop's recommendation to
> apt-get the missing cups support. Progress, it looks like!
>
> The following are the last three lines of the most current config.log.
> It is the *only* place where the instance of "error" or "fail*" or
> "cannot find" occurs in the config.log text.
>
> checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no
> configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"
> configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for prnt/hpijs
> $
>
> What is the next best step?

When compiling from source, any software that requires an external
library (libjpeg in this case) needs both the actual library to
be installed, which I believe it is already based on your other
messages, and the related development files, typically header
files in /usr/include/ and perhaps an archive (.a) library
rather than the more common shared library (.so).

The other possibility is that the version of libjpeg you have does
not include the function jpeg_set_defaults, such as if you have a
major version mismatch. The INSTALL or Requirements files might
specify if a specific version is needed.

Hope that helps.

!DSPAM:42827a99285001713528346!