[nSLUG] Chapter Three - Some HP Installation Progress.

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Wed May 11 15:53:56 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 15:15 -0300, robert wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 14:09 -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> >
> > As others have stated, apt-get-ting hpijs should solve your problem with
> > printing, but for instructional purposes:
>
> I recently posted the results of trying this, Jeff. I didn't notice any
> hitches along the way. But nothing seems to have changed as a result.
> After apt-get install hpijs I did another config.log and got the exact
> same error re prnt/hpijs.

Perhaps there is something lost in the communications, but:

hpijs is a set of print drivers. You can install it via (at least) two
ways, using the packaged version from your distribution, or building it
from sources and installing that. Both ways have some dependencies, for
example the JPEG library. The binary package would (generally) require
just the binary libraries, and to build the package from source you
would require, in addition to the binary libs, various development
components too. These could be satisfied either by installing the
packages, or by building the libs from sources too.

Building a package from sources will have more requirements then
installing the binaries. Successfully installing the packaged version
does not mean you have satisfied the requirements to build that package
from sources. To repeat myself, you've installed the binary hpijs. You
do not need to build it from sources; and having the binary package
installed does not mean you have satisfied any of the requirements to
build it.

Simply looking at config.log will not re-run configure.

> I'm not sure if I'm extracting the telling bits of information so I just
> focused on instances of "failure" , "error". Here's an excerpt from the
> config.log under prnt/hpijs. Maybe you'll spot something peculiar here.

> configure:3698: result: no
> configure:3706: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

This is the same problem with the top level configure script. The only
thing I can think of is that either you have not yet successfully
installed the development bits of libjpeg, that you have not re-run
configure since you did, or that HP and Debian have different ideas of
where libjpeg should be installed.

To rebuild the ldcache, simply run "/sbin/ldconfig", no options. I cant
remember ever passing that any options. If you run this, and it
completes successfully (in the UNIX tradition: no news is good news),
and you re-run configure, and it still cant find libjpeg support, thats
another story. If that happens, you should put off thinking about it for
a few months, or forever....

!DSPAM:428254c6280261995218002!