[nSLUG] Chapter Three - Some HP Installation Progress.

robert ashley at chebucto.ca
Wed May 11 15:15:36 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 14:09 -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 12:01 -0300, robert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 10:11 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> > config.status:713: creating Makefile
> > config.status:896: executing depfiles commands
> > configure:23118: configuring in prnt/hpijs
> > configure:23235: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr
> > '--prefix=/usr' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
> > configure:23240: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for prnt/hpijs
> >
> > Hence, it appears that after apt-get install hpijs there is no change in
> > status. Did you happen to see Bill's suggestion?
>

> As others have stated, apt-get-ting hpijs should solve your problem with
> printing, but for instructional purposes:

I recently posted the results of trying this, Jeff. I didn't notice any
hitches along the way. But nothing seems to have changed as a result.
After apt-get install hpijs I did another config.log and got the exact
same error re prnt/hpijs.

> It looks like the top-level configure is fine ("creating Makefiles" is
> generally the final step), but it also invokes other configure scripts
> in the source tree. So the top level configure tells you that something
> else (which happens to also be called configure) has failed, but has
> only logged the (un)successfulness of that other thing. If you wanted to
> investigate further, there probably is a completely separate config.log
> under the prnt/hpijs directory.

Thanks, Jeff. I didn't realize this invocation of subsidiary configure
scripts. So I did investigate further, as you suggested, looking at the
separate config.log under the prnt/hpijs directory.

I'm not sure if I'm extracting the telling bits of information so I just
focused on instances of "failure" , "error". Here's an excerpt from the
config.log under prnt/hpijs. Maybe you'll spot something peculiar here.

configure:3636: checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg
configure:3666: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -ljpeg   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:3672: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "hpijs"
| #define VERSION "2.1.2"
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;
| #endif
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char jpeg_set_defaults ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| jpeg_set_defaults ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:3698: result: no
configure:3706: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Thanks,

Bob

!DSPAM:42824c20276641502866262!