[nSLUG] Re: New User Advise

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed May 11 02:24:31 ADT 2005

Just to introduce a possibly impertinent note of practicality on the
original subject of CUPS:

I'm (rather gradually) upgrading 3 machines to Sack 10.1.  Install of
10.1 defaults to installing CUPS (compiled executable, of course.)

I could *not* figure out how to get my printer [1] to emit anything
but hentracks with CUPS.  Online help, HOWTOs, very nice web-based
management interface (if you like that kind of thing), grovel through
the CUPS web site, experiment with setting and options by guesswork.
Still hentracks.

Replaced CUPS with LPRNG 3.8.28.  Works great.  Connected the printer to
my router, a little futzing around and RTFM and now all the boxen can
print as if they were connected directly to the printer.

There is this: I already knew about /etc/printcap and
/var/spool/lpd/<virtual-printer-name>/filter.  Ghostscript has a
built-in ljet2 driver (or interpreter or whatever you call it).  So
the filter script can pipe ASCII, PS and PDF through enscript and gs
and get good results. Knowing about that stuff gave me a head start
but I remember that when I first set up the predecessor to lprng (BSD
lpr) it wasn't so very hard to figure it out.

So there is some stuff to beat up with lprng but it's better than
beating your head against CUPS.  This might be such a hassle with a
nice late-model printer but CUPS was an exercise in futility for me,
even with it all pre-compiled and installed.

- Mike

[1] Brother HL-641 laser printer, HP LaserJet II compatible

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:428196b7250821843251784!