[nSLUG] Chapter Three - Some HP Installation Progress.

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Tue May 10 22:37:19 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 21:40, robert wrote:

> checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no
> configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"
> configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for prnt/hpijs

Here is what I did to troubleshoot this problem.

First, the 'lib' part of libjpeg looked like there was another missing
library. Library files are stored either in /lib or /usr/lib. So I did a

find /lib /usr/lib -iname '*libjpeg*'

(as root) to try to find a file that would give me a place to proceed
from. It turned up the following on my Libranet 2.8.1 system, which is
Debian based.

/usr/lib/libjpeg.a
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
/usr/lib/gthumb/modules/libjpegtran.so
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
/usr/lib/libjpeg.la
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so

So at this point it was almost certain that the missing library is
libjpeg.so (since librairies have a .so extension. (I dismissed the idea
of the gthumb possibility because that seemed to be too specific to the
gthumb package, which is used to view digital images.)

Then I issued

dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/libjpeg.a

to try to find the package from which the above file was installed.

The response was

libjpeg62-dev: /usr/lib/libjpeg.a

Thus libjpeg62-dev might be the required package, but then again it
might not. So I did a

dpkg-query -L libjpeg62-dev

to find out what all files were included in the libjpeg62-dev package.

It did not list all of those discovered by the 'find' command above so I
tried

dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

which turned up

libjpeg62: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

So now libjpeg62 might also be the required package.

Debian systems have a file /var/lib/dpkg/available that lists all Debian
packages available using the sources set up for apt-get to use on each
system. (There is also a file called /var/lib/dpkg/status that lists all
of those actually installed.) Since there can be multiple versions of
libraries I opened /var/lib/dpkg/available with less and searched for
packages beginning with the name libjpeg. This is done (from within
less) by issuing first

-i

which says to ignore case, and then

/^package.*libjpeg

which says to look for lines beginning (that's the ^) with 'package' and
(after any other stuff, that's the .*) includes 'libjpeg'. This only
turned up the two packages above. Which one do you need? Probably
libjpeg62 because it is not statically linked.

Also, I should point out that my installation is Woody-based and I
believe you said yours was based on Sarge, so the specifics for your
system may be slightly different.

If you want to reduce the number of ./configure iterations that you have
to go through in order to get all of the dependencies satisfied, but
without resorting to just installing the binary package, you could fire
up the Synaptic package manager and select the binary package that would
be needed. This would give you a list of unsatisifed dependencies that
would have to be satisfied. You could then install those all at once so
as to short circuit some iterations.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone: 902-404-0457; email: jwark at eastlink.ca