[nSLUG] make, Makefile hurdle [new user query]

robert ashley at chebucto.ca
Tue May 10 19:30:22 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-05 at 15:45 -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, robert wrote:
>
> > The following summarizes the main differences between the config.log
> > (Try 1) and config.log (Try 2). (Added lines before and after diffs are
> > for context only)
> >
> > Try 1:
> > configure:21024: checking for cups/cups.h
> > configure:21031: result: no
> > configure:21041: error: cannot find cups-devel support
> > ## ---------------- ##
> > ## Cache variables. ##
> >
> > but...cf with TRY 2
> >
> > Try 2:
> > configure:21024: checking for cups/cups.h
> > configure:21031: result: yes

> So you now have the header files required to get you a bit further. If you
> run configure again, see how far it gets before dying. That will tell you
> the next bit that needs attention. configure is the script that creates
> the Makefile, which make uses as instructions to build a package from
> source to binary; if configure fails, you can't get any further.

"Try 2" is already from the second log for the re-running of ./configure
AFTER following your instruction to apt-get lipcupsys2-dev. I'm not sure
if I was clear enough on this.

So, do I run ./configure a third time? No prob if that's the case. Good
practice.

> That said... Is there a reason you're trying to compile from source? You
> should be able to install the hplip package (apt-get install hplip
> hplip-data) which I suspect will save you significant amounts of pain.

Yes, there's an unassailable reason for doing this way-->not knowing any
different. A beginner's faux-pas, it looks like. But feeling no pain
either. It's just a puzzle, after all, the path is just as cool as the
goal.

Hence....I've got nothing to lose, any old route is still riskless at
this early stage. I'm open to anything. Against that backdrop, do you
think I should abandon the present course, and do the apt-get install
hplip hplip-data that you say above?

Thanks,

Bob

!DSPAM:42813632233931200412077!