[nSLUG] Reinstalling Boot Loader - was Newbie needs help

Betti Ann & Preston Smith prsmith at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue May 10 17:09:22 ADT 2005

Hi Doug!

Thanks for your reply.

The partition was there but it was empty.  I started to reload all of my
programs but I decided it was time to migrate from W98 to XP Home.  I
bought a version of XP at a good price and loaded it then I reloaded all
of my programs.  Of course the XP install deleted the boot loader.

How do I restore it?  I was not impressed with Grub installed by Ubuntu
and would like to use LILO.  Can you give me a clue how to do this?

Thanks
Preston

Doug McComber said the following on 07-May-05 11:15:
> Hi Preston,
>
> What exactly do you mean by "delete the vfat partition"?  Do  you mean
> the vfat line in fstab is gone?  Or did you delete all the files but
> the vfat partition is still there?  Or, did you use a partitioning
> tool (such as fdisk) and now the partition (hda1) is no longer there?
>
>>From the console (or an xterm) when you type:
>
>      fdisk /dev/hda
>
> then type p and press enter.  You should see a listing of all
> partitions.  Is /dev/hda1 there?  If it is, does it say vfat under the
> system column?  If so, then your vfat partition is still there.  If
> the hda1 partition is gone you can sometimes recover it by simply
> adding a new partition with the same specs (start block, end block,
> etc).  This is because as long as the data has not been overwritten it
> is still physically on the hard drive.
>
> If on the other hand, you have deleted the files while in Linux, then
> I doubt there is any way to recover them.

!DSPAM:428114f4225651759211463!