[nSLUG] New User Advise

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:39:06 ADT 2005

On 5/10/05, robert <ashley at chebucto.ca> wrote:

> Yes. But also these seemingly endless possibilities, presenting
> themselves without a readily intelligible structure which makes for some
> early-learner confusion. I've learned, for example, that I have to be
> resourceful and design my own learning agenda. That's a long way removed
> from taking weekly classical guitar lessons.
>
> Actually, I've thought of proposing 'Linux lessons', a weekly one-on-one
> lesson schedule, from master to student. Master sets down the early path
> of learning and doles out assignments of progressing difficulty. Master
> watches students go through the paces of the assignments, evaluates and
> prescribes improvements, doles out next assignment.

If music was invented in 1970, and a class of new instruments appeared
all over the world, and were constantly changing and evolving since 1992,
do you think we would have a standard way of denoting, classifying
and instructing it?  When airplanes were this old you could
easily kill yourself by getting the airplane up, and then getting
the air and fuel mixture (2 manual levers) wrong.

In the case of Linux, the developers have different camps,
and the basic philosophy is that this is a Unix for the users
and by the users.  Everything about Linux and open source will
resist there being a standard that every distribution will adopt.

I suggest that if you want to enjoy it, just pick one thing and
stick with it for awhile.

!DSPAM:42810ddb224105830810880!