[nSLUG] make, Makefile hurdle [new user query]

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue May 10 15:45:48 ADT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, robert wrote:

> The following summarizes the main differences between the config.log
> (Try 1) and config.log (Try 2). (Added lines before and after diffs are
> for context only)
>
> Try 1:
> configure:21024: checking for cups/cups.h
> configure:21031: result: no
> configure:21041: error: cannot find cups-devel support
> ## ---------------- ##
> ## Cache variables. ##
>
> but...cf with TRY 2
>
> Try 2:
> configure:21024: checking for cups/cups.h
> configure:21031: result: yes

So you now have the header files required to get you a bit further. If you
run configure again, see how far it gets before dying. That will tell you
the next bit that needs attention. configure is the script that creates
the Makefile, which make uses as instructions to build a package from
source to binary; if configure fails, you can't get any further.

That said... Is there a reason you're trying to compile from source? You
should be able to install the hplip package (apt-get install hplip
hplip-data) which I suspect will save you significant amounts of pain.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:4281015e222151901120533!