[nSLUG] New User Advise

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue May 10 09:14:53 ADT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 21:56 -0300, robert wrote:
> Being self-critical. I'm wondering if as a one-week-only new user of
> Linux that this problem is rather too complex

In the modern world, you use a Linux distribution.  The distribution of
choice takes care of the problem of compiling software (configure, make,
etc), resolving the dependencies and dealing with the vagrancies of this
piece of hardware versus that, licensing and rights and a bunch of other
stuff.

As a user, you get the software binary appropriate for your hardware,
install it according to your distribution's proscribed method, configure
it if necessary and run it.  And you get to administer your system,
deciding what daemons run, what users you have and so on and so on.

After you have done that a while (say a year or two), you can think
about what it takes to develop modern software.  Running 'configure' and
'make', that's what developers do.  You need to learn how to use your
new system first.

If you are running Debian, Synaptic is your very best friend. 'cups',
'foomatic' and 'hplip' are available as a binaries. All should be in
Sarge.

Gerard

!DSPAM:4280a5c0202471271843528!