[nSLUG] make, Makefile hurdle [new user query]

robert ashley at chebucto.ca
Mon May 9 21:56:24 ADT 2005

Re: 'make' fails with installation of HP printer Deskjet 3650

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 18:55 -0300, Jason Kenney wrote:
> > This "Other errors" looks like the culprit

Thanks Jason & Jeff. Your two diagnoses concur. Hence it appears that
job one is to resolve the missing cups issue. Here's the learning tract
I'll take.

1) Learn about the rudiments of cups
2) Get the missing cups devel package.
3) Run ./configure again for hplip

Please criticize or caution me as you see fit.

Being self-critical. I'm wondering if as a one-week-only new user of
Linux that this problem is rather too complex, too advanced for my green
skill set. Do you think it's smarter to take two steps back and practice
with a few simple, more basic installations first? Something likely to
be fairly trouble-free, that I can observe going right? Even though I'd
like to have the printer working I can work around the inconvenience for
awhile. I'm sure you'll agree, however, that I can't possibly work
around the learning curve.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for guidance!

Bob Ashley

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 18:55 -0300, Jason Kenney wrote:
---snip---
> Generally when you run a configure script, it will tell at the end if
it
> successfully created a Makefile or not. If it cannot create the file for
> some reason, it usually bails out *immediately*, so looking at the
> last output of that command will give you a good clue. If you need more
> information as to what went wrong, then config.log would be the next place
> to check.

The following output comes near the end of the config.log:

AMTAR='${SHELL} /home/robert/hplip-0.9.2/missing --run tar'
AR='ar'
AUTOCONF='${SHELL} /home/robert/hplip-0.9.2/missing --run autoconf'
AUTOHEADER='${SHELL} /home/robert/hplip-0.9.2/missing --run autoheader'
AUTOMAKE='${SHELL} /home/robert/hplip-0.9.2/missing --run automake-1.9'

The last three lines of the config.log output are:

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;
configure: exit 1

!DSPAM:428006f1150661773580521!