[nSLUG] make, Makefile hurdle [new user query]

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon May 9 07:49:45 ADT 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005, robert wrote:

> [Thanks to Jonathan and Doug (and the DAL ACM students) for a great
> installfest last Saturday.]
>
> I've followed HP's instructions for installing hpslip to get a HP
> DeskJet 3650 operative under Debian sarge (with 2.4 kernel). My query
> seeks a logical 'next step' to surmount a hurdle I've encountered at the
> 'make' stage.
>
> in the directory... debian:/home/bobby/hpslip-0.9.2#

I think you want to use "hplip-0.9.2" (no "s").

> # make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefiles found. Stop.
>
> ...but
>
> #ls -a
> [this returns, among other files, two 'Makefiles', which are
> 'Makefile.am' and 'Makefile.in']
>
> Are these Makefile.am and Makefile.in files subsidiary makefiles which
> need to be specified for 'make' to do its job properly?
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

The step before "make" in HP's instructions
<http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php> called for

$./configure --prefix=/usr

It appears that this step failed.  Look in config.log for details.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:427f4099107361023856759!