[nSLUG] make, Makefile hurdle [new user query]

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Mon May 9 02:51:06 ADT 2005

Hi,

Makefile.am and Makefile.in are both part of the automake and
autoconf system.

Generally this means you need to run a script called "configure" ($
./configure) which generates the Makefile from the Makefile.in file,
specific for your system configuration. This is also sometimes called
"config".

If this script doesn't exist, look for other shell scripts in the
directory, or a file called INSTALL or something similar, which may
contain more recent instructions than the website ones. I suspect
they either forgot to include that step, or perhaps you missed it. I
didn't look up the instructions myself to see.

It is also possible that Makefile.in is the makefile you need, you can run
make with the -f option to specify a non-standard make-filename, but I
would be very surprised if this was the case.

Jason

On Mon, 9 May 2005, robert wrote:

> [Thanks to Jonathan and Doug (and the DAL ACM students) for a great
> installfest last Saturday.]
>
> I've followed HP's instructions for installing hpslip to get a HP
> DeskJet 3650 operative under Debian sarge (with 2.4 kernel). My query
> seeks a logical 'next step' to surmount a hurdle I've encountered at the
> 'make' stage.
>
> in the directory... debian:/home/bobby/hpslip-0.9.2#
>
> # make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefiles found. Stop.
>
> ...but
>
> #ls -a
> [this returns, among other files, two 'Makefiles', which are
> 'Makefile.am' and 'Makefile.in']
>
> Are these Makefile.am and Makefile.in files subsidiary makefiles which
> need to be specified for 'make' to do its job properly?
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Bob Ashley

!DSPAM:427efa4c99763754917630!