[nSLUG] Re: DHCP and name resolution question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri May 6 03:25:05 ADT 2005

Teed> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why moby can't
Teed> just use a fixed IP.

It can.  It is.  And the other 2 hosts have that address in /etc/hosts.

I'll do any amount of work to avoid work. :-)  I want to be able to
take the laptop to where there's a high-speed DHCP service (say, the
Bridgewater Library) and connect to their server for downloading stuff
too tedious over rural dialup -- typically 38-48Kbps.

But to switch to DHCP -- unless *I* am missing something, I have to su
to root, edit /etc/rc.d and restart inetd.  Then do the reverse when I
come home.  Seemed like a nice idea to just do DHCP with the laptop
all the time and not have to think about the switch.

Teed> The DHCP config could be set up to always assign a specific IP
Teed> based on the MAC address of the wireless client hardware....

Ah-ha!  I think that's it.  I don't quite understand the details of
the router's admin interface but I can experiment.  That will allow a
visitor to connect, as well, and get a arbitrary address while my own
moby always gets a predictable one.  Great!  It was staring me in the
face but I didn't get it.

SGregory> The general way to deal with this is to install a DNS server
SGregory> and enable dynamic updates.

I was really hoping to avoid that for now.  I thing Donald's pointer
will work for me.

Strum> The DHCP clients are running XP (or they could be Linux+Samba),
Strum> so I used nmblookup (part of Samba):

I'm M$-free (er, except for a Win 3.1 partition, just to read pics off
my Kodak DC40.)

Strum> If your laptop isn't running Windows (or Linux+Samba) you could
Strum> probably do something similar with nmap by nmap-ing the DHCP
Strum> address range for whatever you're looking for. Something like
Strum> this, perhaps: [snip]

Yeah, only that seemed soooo  *inelegant*. :-)

At the moment, I'm in Larval Mode with LAN stuff, trying to learn
enough so that later I can just go and *do* stuff when occasion
arises.  Still have DNS, NIS, IP masq and possibly Samba to go.

Thanks for all the pointers.
- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:427b0d72319715175891464!