[nSLUG] DHCP and name resolution question

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri May 6 00:08:04 ADT 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why moby can't
just use a fixed IP.  The DHCP server in the wireless router
is an option, not a requirement, of connecting to it.  In general,
anytime you need to be able to get to a dynamically assigned
IP address machine, there has to be some way of knowing
where it is.  The DHCP config could be set up to always
assign a specific IP based on the MAC address of the
wireless client hardware (many routers can do this and
a Linux DHCP server certainly can), but that might be
more effort than you really need to get things done.  I'd
just go with a static IP and enter that in the hosts
file or DNS or whatever you use for name lookups.
Ditto for any additional clients.