[nSLUG] DHCP and name resolution question

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu May 5 11:47:28 ADT 2005

Hi:
On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 04:14 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
[snip]
> [1] I guess I have a workaround: telling the router (through its admin
>     interface) that there is only one address it's allowed to issue to
>     clients.  Then the other 2 hosts can be configured as if that were
>     moby's fixed address.  But that isn't a general solution: it (a)
>     wouldn't allow a second wireless DCHP client to join the LAN and
>     (b) would cause a new and different DHCP client to be recognized
>     wrongly as moby.

Most of these wireless routers that I have seen can be configured so
that the lease time is infinite.  As a result, it always give the same
address to the same client, and new addresses to new clients, at least
until it needs to start recycling addresses.  So although "moby's"
address is really dynamic, you can pretend that it is fixed and just put
it in your hosts file.  Technically this is still just a workaround but
I believe it will work.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca