[nSLUG] DHCP and name resolution question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu May 5 04:14:26 ADT 2005

So I got a DHCP client working by changing one line in an rc.d file.
Nothing to it. But there's a problem on my LAN that I don't quite get.
(Isn't there always? :-)

    My main box and another (bogus & alien) are connected to a router
    by cable and have fixed IP addresses assigned.

    If the laptop (moby) runs a DHCP client over wireless, the
    (wireless) *router* itself has a DHCP server and assigns an
    address to moby.

    So far, so good. I can reach bogus and alien *from* moby, say,
    with ping or telnet or "mount bogus:/".

    BUT bogus and alien have no way of knowing what IP address moby
    has.

Is there some general way to deal with this? [1] Is NIS/yp* the thing
that will do this?  I'm happy to RTFM but there are so *many* long and
complicated FMs that I haven't read yet....  So I would be grateful
for a pointer in the right direction.

(This question is all about a LAN; internet connection is by
dialup. The router isn't involved in the connection to the "real"
internet.)

TIA,
- Mike

[1] I guess I have a workaround: telling the router (through its admin
    interface) that there is only one address it's allowed to issue to
    clients.  Then the other 2 hosts can be configured as if that were
    moby's fixed address.  But that isn't a general solution: it (a)
    wouldn't allow a second wireless DCHP client to join the LAN and
    (b) would cause a new and different DHCP client to be recognized
    wrongly as moby.

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:4279c786282831146710771!