[nSLUG] getting sftp/ssh access at hosting ISP

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 08:57:23 ADT 2005

I've reached a compromise with sibername - sftp is on all the time,
ssh by request. They do respond quickly to support and they
are available 24x7, so the odd time I need shell, it shouldn't
be a big issue to ask for a window of ssh access.
I've encouraged them to make that clear in their knowledgebase.

There is no one in N.S. that I've found, that can offer things like
350MB space for $83/year. There are ISPs out there offering
1 GB for similar prices. The market contains a crazy variety of
prices and services to wade through. However, one thing that
helped me decide on sibername was their quick response to my
request for a bandwidth test of a 1 to 2 mb file. Some other
ISPs don't respond at all.

On 6/29/05, Miles Thompson <miles at allnovascotia.com> wrote:

> Try hub.org <http://hub.org> ... but before you do, maybe they mean that
> the max time for
> any one connection is 4 hr?
> Otherwise it's ridiculous - availability like electricity in Baghdad. Is
> that the name of a hosting plan?
>
> Miles
>

> At 04:28 PM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
>
> >Someone in this group suggested sibername for hosting. They looked good,
> >cheap, and
> >provided nice bandwidth, so I signed up. The features list shows ssh. I
> >intended to
> >use sftp/ssh to move my site there. The knowledge base said you had to
> >ask for access.
> >I email support. In 2 minutes I get an answer - it is available for 4
> hours
> >duration only.
> >
> >In other people's experience is this what "ssh access" typically means?
> >
> >I feel like perhaps I've found the Alice in Wonderland of hosting ISPs -
> >the SSL certificate works between 4 and 11, MySQL is available between 8
> >and 12 AM, and so on. That is fiction, but my point is, how can one
> >assume any of the features are available permanently, given the
> >ssh precedent? I've still lots of time to change my mind on
> >this hosting pick.

> !DSPAM:42c30669124621311449696!

!DSPAM:42c3de22150207400181028!