[nSLUG] performance and schedulers

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Wed Jun 22 08:19:21 ADT 2005

Good Day all:

I have read the various items on schedulers and performance and have several
questions.

1)  With a careful test of each of the various schedulers and their tunable
paramters, how much performance gain could one expect?   Are we talking 10. 15
or 30% change?

2)  Would a selection of higher performance components in the system give you a
quicker and cheaper performance gain?  In other words is it more productive to
just go buy a bigger box?  I am more hardware oriented and find that well
matched components often give much better performance gain, than hours spent
tweaking the OS.  Thoughts??

3)  What do you do when the app(s) running on the box or the storage needs of
the app changes?  Do you have to go through the tweaking process all over
again?

4)  Are there guidelines to use if application characteristics are known?

5)  Are there any automatic tuning apps that can run in the background and
monitor the various loads and then recommend a recomplie with different
options?  I know there used to be such a tool for SCO that if left running for
a week or so would recommend changes.  In one case the performance gain was
truly dramatic.

Regards

Jim H

!DSPAM:42b9493b51464355135645!