[nSLUG] 2.6 kernel performance

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jun 21 18:02:10 ADT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Scott Walker wrote:

> How can you expect better?
>
> Kernel 2.6 from the get go was aimed at breaking linux into the
> enterprise level enviroment. 90% of the changes to the linux kernel have
> been implented for just this. Your not going to see a huge improvment on
> your desktop.

All depends on how you use your desktop.  For our "mission critical"
remote sensing app, linux on a P4 with 512M ram is almost up to an SGI
Octane R10k 250mhz with 256M, but falls down when pushed with large files.
With a 2.4 kernel, falling down generally meant a hard crash.  With a 2.6
kernel the application gets killed.  For me that is the difference between
a usable system and a toy.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:42b8808a18183106696874!