[nSLUG] 2.6 kernel performance

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jun 21 15:51:37 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:32 -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> If I really felt there was no point in getting good performance
> out of my PCs I'd buy 5400 RPM disks and stick with 64 MB RAM
> and PII 233 Mhz.  I can't think of anyone like that, regardless of
> whether they were a former Gentoo user.

Straw man.

The trouble is that many people don't really consider the real goal of
optimization.  They just have an obsession with their systems scoring
well on benchmarks.  I don't believe for a minute Stephen was saying
"accept mediocre performance".  What I heard was "don't waste effort
trying to tweak things that don't give real gains".  So if you've
determined that there's an end-user-noticable problem with performance
that is solvable by kernel tweaking, by all means do it!  Measure as
close to the user's problem domain as possible before the tweaks, and
then measure afterwards.  But tweaking for the sake of watching
benchmark numbers go up (or down) is meaningless.

Ben

!DSPAM:42b861c411629004220904!