[nSLUG] 2.6 kernel performance

Scott Walker crimson at unspeakable.org
Tue Jun 21 15:40:40 ADT 2005

How can you expect better?

Kernel 2.6 from the get go was aimed at breaking linux into the
enterprise level enviroment. 90% of the changes to the linux kernel have
been implented for just this. Your not going to see a huge improvment on
your desktop.

What you will see huge performance on is if this box was being pounded
as a webserver, or as a database server. That is where all the
performance improvements in 2.6 are going to shine.

Not at the low-end, reopening your cdplayer hoping to shave
.2394823098492 seconds off your load time.

Stay with the default scheduler, The new schedulers are coded to provide
better support for enterprise level system, that maybe need a different
type of I/O scheduler in order to prosper in that enviroment.

Having run both 2.4 and 2.6 side by side on desktops of the same config,
performance is about equal. Honestly there is no real need to move to
2.6 unless you need driver support for something.

In the future moving to a 2.6 kernel will prob be neccassary.

But digress.