[nSLUG] 2.6 kernel performance

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jun 21 15:39:10 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:49 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> Part of the problem with Gentoo is that you get into a mentality that
> tweaking will give big performance improvements. It won't. Apart from
> using a kernel compiled for your cpu there isn't much that you should
> bother doing.

This isn't just Gentoo mentality, it is an old, well-known programming
pitfall that is all too easy to fall into.  (Yes, I know, systems
administration isn't programming, but the same principle applies.)  Here
is some wisdom from fortune(6) on the matter:

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                -- D.E. Knuth
%
(definitions)
%
The First Rule of Program Optimization:
        Don't do it.

The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!):
        Don't do it yet.
                -- Michael Jackson
%

!DSPAM:42b85ece9471863514241!