[nSLUG] 2.6 kernel performance

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Jun 21 14:49:27 ADT 2005

resend: sorry used wrong email address earlier.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:17:04AM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:

> Does anyone have a tip on the best kernel options for SMP and software RAID
> over IDE?  Perhaps I should just try all of the schedulers off.

I have a tip: don't waste you time. At three users your server is
terribly under utilized. If any of the schedulers perform better it
will be the default. The other schedulers don't improve performance
until you hit hundreds of processes blocking on io.

If you wish to test your RAID performance use Bonnie++. There is
Debian package. As your server will be bound by Windows and SAMBA's
performance disk performance will be a non issue.

Part of the problem with Gentoo is that you get into a mentality that
tweaking will give big performance improvements. It won't. Apart from
using a kernel compiled for your cpu there isn't much that you should
bother doing.

--
sg

!DSPAM:42b8532f6746832519240!