[nSLUG] Tip on APC warranty RMAs!

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Mon Jun 20 21:10:22 ADT 2005

Donald Teed wrote:

>APC support had no record of my RMA arriving as of last week.
>Also, I was in contact with the fulfillment house in Mississauga
>by phone on Thursday, and they had no record of my RMA arriving.
>
>Today the RMA replacement appeared at my home,
>shipped by UPS ground (which must have been in
>transit when I made my inquiries).

So it ended on a good note.

>I suspect the way they work is that there is no knowledge
>of what the other party is doing.  The database sucks
>because there is no database, and there is no connectivity
>between APC and the fulfillment house.

Many companies try to increase their profit margin, by hiring only staff
that is willing to work for minimum wage or lower. You know the quality
you get for that.

>In my case, I had bought it from Future Shop, but online.
>
>Incidently, I notice that Staples and Future Shop online stores
>both offer free shipping, but always have 0 stock of the largest
>APC UPS they carry, while the stores are actually stocked
>with the same part.  I suspect they are using this technique
>to avoid paying the shipping on 23 pound UPS units and
>simply allow the online store to advertise that they
>do carry the product if you want to drive into a bricks and
>mortar location.

I don't shop at Staples it's American, Future Shop is a box pusher, it
seems that every thing I buy was discontinued shortly afterwards, :) or
a replacement was not in stock, they are a last resort for any thing
that may require assistance or technical help. I am looking for a local
shop that speaks service and doesn't try to screw me because I am new in
the area.  That has happened once already in Antigonish, I took my
laptop to a shop on the main street to get more RAM installed, the owner
told me to come hack in a hour(???) They charged me half hour labour to
install the RAM, 3 guesses who I do not recommend?