[nSLUG] Another disk problem shortly after end-of-warranty

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Jun 18 10:15:13 ADT 2005

I had a disk error during a backup of one of my partitions this AM.
I overwrote the bad sector with dd and the "smart -l" test passed,
but in my experience this sort of error means the disk won't last long,
so I checked the warranty.  As usual, this warranty expired a few days ago
(and the disk isn't dead yet).  I should start replacing drives at
end-of-warranty and save the hassle of dealing with bad blocks, restoring
from backups, etc.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:42b41ecf167541655913888!