[nSLUG] Re: X11 is not X-Windows

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:39:25 ADT 2005

Sounds like political correctness to me.

When people are to be "corrected" by silencing
rather than a discussion or explanation,
it brings us full circle to the roots of fascism.
Like the man says ... be careful when fighting
monsters that you don't become one yourself.

My own view is that I don't care what people call
me.  Don, Donald, or even Todd (inside joke at my
workplace) have worked to get my attention.
Life is too short to worry about it.

Currently my work involves software where the official
terms are completely out of whack with tradition.
Official term "accounts", are really database instances.
User accounts are officially "operator records".
I cannot, on a practical level, talk to end users in
this language, because it would mean nothing to them,
so I refer to labels they will intuit.

I think "X Windows" came into being the same way.
I was named by the majority of the users - those who
had client terminals and were not about to nerd
themselves (back when it wasn't cool) by referring
to X11 or X, or the other approved alternatives.

Do the people who feel X Windows is offensive also
feel everyone should abstain from placing a $
in place of an S in Microsoft?  Would they interupt
a game of flying discs to correct someone who
referred to it as frisbee?

!DSPAM:42b20dac131491753624971!