[nSLUG] Re: X11 is not X-Windows

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Jun 16 12:20:35 ADT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 11:02 -0400, Crawford, Andrew (IT) wrote:
> The fact remains though that as long as people a) call it "X Windows",
> and b) understand what is meant by "X Windows", the wishes of the
> project originators are irrelevent for all practical purposes.

No, not for all practical purposes.  You have only illustrated that the
*meaning* of "X Windows" is clear, regardless of the project's wishes.
So if this thread were about meaning, I'd have to agree.  But since it
is about courtesy, the practical consequence of their expressed wish is
that two kinds of people who call it "X Windows" remain:

1. those who are ignorant
2. those who are discourteous

Personally, I don't want to be considered either.  You said you call it
X anyway, so maybe you feel the same way?

Ben

!DSPAM:42b198c8120464098919018!