[nSLUG] Another debian issue resolved

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:45:18 ADT 2005

My network was not coming up on boot up.  I believed
it had been set up in the interfaces file, but I forgot
the keyword 'auto' and didn't realize this for awhile.
I didn't have a quick tool to check on what inits are
set to start, and so I used update-rc.d to add networking.

Or perhaps I did have rcconf at that point and it showed
networking was missing, and then I decided to add it.
Now that I think about it, rcconf probably only shows
what is happening on the default run level or something like it.
That would explain what I saw.

It isn't clear when you need to, or you do not need
to add your inits after installing them.  From Gentoo,
I'm accustomized to running rc-update for everything,
since you build it from the base up.

Thanks for the correct sequences...