[nSLUG] Another debian issue resolved

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 15 14:34:53 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 07:53 -0300, Donald Teed wrote:
> For some odd reason, bind came in as sequence order 15.
> But networking was set as 20, so bind was always bombing out
> on start up.  I set up networking init script as sequence order
> 13, and now bind is happy on boot up.

The problem with moving networking up to 13 is that your hardware hasn't
been set up by that point (kernel modules don't load until later, and
the hotplug subsystem hasn't loaded yet either) so I don't see how your
solution works.

There's a discrepancy between what you said about the order of startup
scripts and what I'm seeing.  The networking starts in rcS.d at level
40, so I'm confused as to how you're seeing it at level 20 (and in what
runlevel? surely not the same as named, which is set up in rc2.d?)

Please be careful about tips like this -- if something appears to be
extremely badly broken in Debian with something as fundamental as bind,
it's not entirely impossible that you've found a real bug, but chances
are much greater that you've just misunderstood how it works and/or have
a local configuration problem.

Ben

!DSPAM:42b066e184562026496922!