[nSLUG] Linux on X86 Powerbooks

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Mon Jun 13 13:09:57 ADT 2005

> The press reports I've seen haven't mentioned support for f.p. math.  At
> one time, f.p. library issues were given as the reason Matlab was not
> ported to OS X.  Many numerical analysts liked m68k macs for the Apple
> SANE library and flat memory model.  When Apple moved to PPC they switched
> to IBM OS/2 and then linux or Windows NT.
>
> Many educational institutions had good experiences with Apple (and
> currently stuggle with AV and spam on Win XP).  If Matlab becomes
> available on OS X for Intel, and given the open source Darwin kernel,
> Apple could make big gains in education.

It's not clear to me what the current situation is, but Matlab does
currently run on OS X in some form. But it is really, really slow.

Matlab also runs on FreeBSD in linux compatibility mode, and actually runs
faster in that, than it does on linux with similar hardware (from
several isolated cases, there may have been other factors involved as
well, I no longer have access to those machines). Except for anything to
do with graphics.

Given the two pieces of information above, I can't see Matlab not
appearing on an OS X for Intel hardware.

Jason

!DSPAM:42adafd526784820015020!