[nSLUG] distro differences: ghostscript and adobe fonts

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Jun 13 10:09:26 ADT 2005

In trying to use a linux (Fedora Core 2) X-server to run a NASA
application developed on SGI Irix I ran into a problem with missing fonts:
'-adobe-helvetica-*-narrow-*'.  It appears that Red Hat provides bitmapped
versions of the Adobe base 13 fonts.  I gather that other linux distros
use a 'fonts.alias' file to map the Adobe Laserwriter 35 fonts to the free
URW type1 fonts distributed with ghostscript.  On such distros you would
get non-null output from both:

$ xlsfonts -fn '-urw-nimbus sans l condensed-*'
-urw-nimbus sans l condensed-bold-i-condensed--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard
[...]

and also from:
$ xlsfonts -fn '-adobe-helvetica-*-narrow-*'

On Red hat Fedora 2&3 I only get output from the first.  Note that the
'--0-0-0-0-' indicates a scalable font.  If I replace 'narrow' with
'normal' in the 2nd command I get only lines for bitmapped fonts.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:42ad85f223044042815210!