[nSLUG] Discovering the beauty of Debian within

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Sun Jun 12 19:50:04 ADT 2005

Hi Everybody

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 16:31, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> For those wishing to appreciate the real beauty of Debian from the
> inside out, read Debian Policy:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
>
> Don't be fooled.  This is not the dry, technical document it may seem to
> be at first glance.  This is like studying the blueprints for a
> Mercedes.  The quality you experience when you use Debian owes a great
> deal to this masterpiece document.

This document was a real eye-opener to me. Anyone who wants a good
introduction to maintaining a Debian-based system need look no further
than Chapters 9 and 10.

But there are a few chapters that I *would* describe as dry and
technical. These are the ones that describe the rules to be followed by
those submitting code to the project, especially chapters 4 to 8.

(The reason it has taken me so long to reply to Ben's posting is, it
*does* take a while to go through, but well worth it.)

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone: 902-404-0457; email: jwark at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:42acbbcc10172042712359!