[nSLUG] Linux on X86 Powerbooks

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Jun 12 17:47:59 ADT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:39:04AM +0000, Vikram Chhatre wrote:

> mainstream Linux distribution on a apple powerbook (those slick,
> lightweight, attractive and yummy notebooks as I call them)

While the ibook and powerbooks are nice they aren't that light. Apple
laptops weigh the same as IBM laptops and some Sony laptops are a
third to half the weight.

We do know that Linux will run on Mac x86. (it is pretty much a given)
It is likely that Apple will continue to build good computers with a
markup for the Apple logo. I suspect that Linux users will be
attracted to Mac x86. Linux users like technical excellence. Anyone
who thinks that Macs will be cheaper is mistaken. Apple is a luxury
brand.

I wonder how many linux users who get a Mac will switch to MacOS for
their workstations. MacOS is pretty good. The unixy bits undearneath
allow a Linux users to use most of the tools they are used to. The GUI
on top has its annoyances, but it is no worst then XP, Gnome, KDE, or
your desktop of choice. But the big advantage to MacOS is that all of
the hardware will work without messing with the configs.

Personally I hope a whole bunch of the whiney annoying Linux users
become MacOS users and leave the rest of us in peace. :-)

--
sg

!DSPAM:42ac9f878001466494096!