[nSLUG] Re: Followup Re: X freeze etc. Thanks all.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Jun 11 03:59:18 ADT 2005

Donald Teed quoth:

> I lived in Toronto about a decade ago, and what you describe was the
> norm (at that time) for professional level security cams operating
> in stores that were robbed, and on the news.

$4000, installed? :-)

> It was useful for determining how many were involved in the
> incident, how tall they were, whether they were alien or human, etc.

Better than no info at all.

> Then there is the fake video cam available in Canadian Tire for
> around $20 - might achieve the same goal.

Well, most of this hardware is used stuff so I have ca. $50 in it --
computer, cards, HD, cam, cables, router and all. And the FakoCam
wouldn't be *nearly* as educational 8-).  But it's an idea: I could
build a pretty convincing FakoCam from leftover junk around the shop
-- blinken lights, tape drives, antenna servo -- and put it in a real
obvious and perfectly lit place.  Any intruder would go to it and
smash or steal it.  And I'd have pics of the perp doing it.

Some further progress...

I initially set it up like this:

   Connect webcam to grody
   Mount bogus:/tmp/incoming on grody over wireless
   Run motion on grody, writing to bogus:/tmp/incoming

Worked but there were way too many dropped frames.  This is better:

   Connect webcam to grody
   Mount grody:/tmp/cam on bogus
   Run motion on grody, writing to /tmp/cam
   Run a script on bogus that loops through:
       foreach grody:/tmp/cam/*.jpg
          copy the file to bogus:/tmp/incoming
          delete successfully copied file from grody
       sleep for a while

which works much better because the motion app itself doesn't have a
bottleneck waiting for writes across the wireless link to bogus.

I get fewer dropped frames and thus more images of the detected
motion.  The dropped frames were the very ones I wanted -- those that
came right after the beginning of detected motion, while Motion was
waiting for the slow write to the nfs dir over wireless to finish.

Annnd, its seems, the image quality is somewhat better, too.  Not too
sure why that is.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:42aa8b1d281686829610619!