[nSLUG] what to do with an older Sun machine?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Jun 10 14:10:09 ADT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:04:57AM -0300, ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:

> By some twisted series of event, a Sun Ultra 10 Creator 3D box landed in

In my experience Solaris works best on these machines. By that I mean
Solaris is the most stable, and everything works. While the OS is
great it dosen't come with much usefull software. There is the Sun
freeware CD, but it is out of date. I think you will find that you
have to compile stuff by hand. It will work, but you will have to
manage it.

That is why I recommend Debian or other Linux disto. Linux works well
enough, and most distros have an excellent repository of software. You
could use Gentoo, but the proc in the Ultra 10 is not that fast and
you will be compiling for ages.

I think you can pull that Creator 3D graphics card out and use the
db15 onboard vga. If not you can get a little converter the size of a
gender changer. If you hunt around the dept you probably can find one.

--
sg

!DSPAM:42a9c97b259971670244598!