[nSLUG] Followup Re: X freeze etc. Thanks all.

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:28:24 ADT 2005

I lived in Toronto about a decade ago, and what you describe was
the norm (at that time) for professional level security cams operating in
stores that were robbed, and on the news.  It was useful for determining
how many were involved in the incident, how tall they were, whether they
were alien or human, etc.  If a person used a hood, there was no visible face.
Then there is the fake video cam available in Canadian Tire for around
$20 - might
achieve the same goal.

On 6/10/05, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> FWIW:
>
>     As a security cam, a Logitech Quickcam [1] is a bit fuzzy. A
>     352x288 image isn't sharp enough to reliably ID a subject at 20'
>     or resolve identifying details in arbitrary lighting.  Test was my
>     unique belt buckle.  I ran Motion while tidying up the shop for
>     the night.  Couldn't resolve the buckle with any degree of
>     certainty in any of the captrured images, even after tweaking
>     gamma etc. in (ImageMagick's) display.

!DSPAM:42a9bfa8257288127220560!