[nSLUG] what to do with an older Sun machine?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:20:39 ADT 2005

Here is a list of items to be aware of:

- if you can't find a Sun 13W3 monitor, there are convertors to SVGA
  available, but apparently some that claim to be this, don't work.
  If you have trouble finding this used locally, try Frank at Greenlyph.com -
  he used to sell used Sun hardware from the dotcom bust.
- if you don't care about running the video on it, it can be operated as a
  headless unit.  This would require a null modem cable to a PC.
  In my experience it was easier getting that to work from Windows
Hyperterminal
  than from anything on Linux (cu from uucp package, minicom, etc.).
- Generally the Ultra 10 has a faster CPU than the models 2,5 and 30
  bookending it, but the built in disk interface is IDE, and it is said to
  suck - much worse than x86 IDE.  I think some people add in their own
  SCSI adapters.
- Gentoo and Debian are probably the best Linux choices.  Redhat stopped making
  Linux for Sparc at 6.2.  I don't think Slackware offered on the Sun platform,
  unless it was a splintered off project.