[nSLUG] Thinking About Relocating

Damien Tougas damien at tougas.net
Thu Jun 9 11:58:06 ADT 2005

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen, currently living and working in the USA
(Maine). Things aren't going so well financially with my employer at
the moment, so my wife and I are considering making a move back to
Canada. We are originally from Alberta, but we have really fallen in
love with Maine, and the East coast in general. We are considering
making a move up to somewhere in the Maritime provinces if we think it
could work for us.

So, my questions are:

- What is the current tech job market like in that area? My areas of
expertise are FreeBSD/Linux (mostly FreeBSD) server administration, and
web application development. (For anyone interested, my resume can be
found at http://www.tougas.net/resume.pdf).

- What I would really like to do is freelance/project based work. What
kind of demand and/or competition is there for stuff like this in that
area (if you know...)? Are there any regions that would be better than
others for this kind of thing? Here in Maine, I could do pretty well
with this kind of work (but I can't because I don't have a Green Card).

- What is the cost of living like from your perspective? Can a family
survive on local wages with a single income? We are not a dual income
family (and really don't want to be), so wherever we move, we would
like to be able to make it work on a single income.

I really know nothing about eastern Canada, having spent the majority
of my life in the west. If you have any options/advice regarding this
potential move, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

--
Damien Tougas

!DSPAM:42a8590a210571883123423!